JOB OPPORTUNITY: Outreach Coordinator
Summary: Backyard Gardeners Network is seeking a part-time Outreach Coordinator to help generate and maintain awareness, participation and support in garden programming throughout the community. This position is ideal for an outgoing person interested in community organizing and interacting with diverse groups, who has availability on afternoons and weekends. The ideal candidate will have experience in marketing or communications. This position can be combined with our Youth Internship Co-Coordinator position, provided the candidate is qualified for both.
Backyard Gardeners Network is a Lower 9th Ward based nonprofit organization that uses the cultural tradition of food-growing in the Lower 9th Ward as a platform for community-building, neighborhood revitalization and cultural preservation. We operate two community gardens – the Ernst Community Garden and the Guerrilla Garden – and a garden resource center in the Lower 9th Ward. We offer free seeds and other supplies, tool lending, and garden plots for residents to grow.
In 2013, we launched a community programming series called Lower 9 Growing Strong at the Guerrilla Garden (one of our community gardens). In the Fall and Spring seasons, Lower 9 Growing Strong provides afternoon programming for children, adults and seniors that includes food preparation and gardening workshops, children’s activities (art, team-building, literacy, and gardening), community gatherings, potlucks and cooking contests, and Black history and culture events.
Outreach Coordinator JOB DESCRIPTION
The Outreach Coordinator is responsible for generating and maintaining participation and support for the Lower 9 Growing Strong project both within the Lower Ninth Ward community and in the greater New Orleans area. This includes managing our growing database of contacts, communicating regularly with our target audience through phone calls, emails, texts, social media, etc., conducting outreach events/activities to build and maintain relationships with community groups, keeping our garden signage fresh and current, and providing leadership to our community outreach youth interns.
This is a part-time position starting in February and ending in June 2016. Hours are flexible, based on work requirements. Ability to work from home. Must be able to work on-site 1-2 evenings and/or weekends each week. Outreach Coordinator works closely with Youth Internship Co-Coordinator and Director, and reports to the Director.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Mailchimp or a similar email marketing service, Google Docs or similar file sharing service, social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram), and email.
- Outgoing, extroverted, and friendly personality; must enjoy talking with people of all ages and backgrounds
- Commitment to Backyard Gardeners Network’s mission and values.
- Familiarity with Backyard Gardeners Network’s programs
- Self-starter. Our staff works mostly independently; we set our own work plans and check in at staff meetings.
- Basic computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a background in Community Outreach, Communications, or Marketing
- Have roots in the Lower 9th Ward and/or connections in the community, whether with the people or with neighborhood institutions.
- Coordinate: flyer distribution, monthly e-newsletter distribution, and social media engagement
- Plan and implement regular outreach events at the Lower 9th Ward Senior Center and/or other community centers in the neighborhood.
- Visit neighborhood churches on a regular basis to invite the congregation
- Regular phone calls and text messages to our neighborhood contacts
- Keep contacts database and attendance tracker updated on a regular basis
- Keep garden signage fresh and current
- Provide direction and leadership to community outreach youth interns
- Report out at monthly staff meetings
- Co-write youth internship report at the end of the season
Job Timeline: February through June 2016
Hours flexible, depending on work requirements. Average 40 hours per month.
$4500 total payment for services. Payable in monthly installments
This position can be combined with the Youth Internship Co-coordinator position, if candidate possesses is qualified for both.
This position may be extended based on performance and availability of funding.
To Apply, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com or mail to 603 Forstall Street, New Orleans, LA 70117.